2005-08-19

WAHHHHH! I didn't get an iPod

This article in the NY Post covers the trials and tribulations of a woman who was paid $1500 to appear in an iPod ad. That's $1,500 for 3 hours worth of work. While I don't think that she is really crying that she didn't get a free iPod OR that she cannot afford one, the author - Julie Moult - sure as hell tries to spin the article that way.

She was paid a flat fee of $1,500 for the shoot - a tiny fraction of the billions Apple has reaped from the sale of its sleek portable player. But Coulton - posing here with one of her ads - says it still wasn't enough to buy one of the must-have gadgets.

What? iPods cost more than $1,500? Damn, I got a good deal on my iPod Photo! Oh wait, two paragraphs later we get this quote from the dancer, Mandy Coulton:
"I would like one - but $400 for an iPod is too much for me at the moment. I can't justify spending that much money when I have day-to-day stuff to pay for, like the car and rent."

That's better. She sounds downright reasonable. She wants one, but cannot afford one because she has other day-to-day expenses like housing and transportation. She says that she's not bitter and I tend to believe her.

The article goes on to say that she lives with her [not very successful if you can't afford an iPod] venture-capitalist husband and she works as a nanny to keep the pennies coming in as her dance jobs are fairly sporadic.

l8r

No comments: